Sunday, April 16, 2023

Back to the Beat : The Amazing DJ Community




Back to the Beat: Rediscovering My Passion for DJing

My Journey from the '80s to the Digital Age
and the Amazing DJ Community I Found Along the Way








In the late '80s, my journey as a professional DJ began in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada, where I was fortunate to be part of a thriving and supportive DJ community. Over the years, I've had the privilege of spinning tracks at sea cadet dances, school sock hops, weddings, and nightclubs, meeting incredible people from all over the world in the process. With the rapid advancement of DJ technology and the rise of platforms like Twitch, I've recently decided to make a comeback and reconnect with my DJ family.

The Early Days: Sea cadet Dances and School Sock Hops

My career started in 1987, playing for sea cadet dances and school sock hops. As time went by, I began picking up gigs at weddings and nightclubs. I lost count after DJing for over 500 weddings, but each one was an honour, allowing me to witness the magic of humanity at its happiest.

The Club Scene: Meeting People from Around the World

As a club DJ in the port city of Saint John, I had the unique opportunity to meet people from all over the world, thanks to the regular arrival of cruise ships near the waterfront. Engaging with tourists and music enthusiasts allowed me to expand my knowledge and music collection, creating an incredibly diverse and global sound.

The Power of Community: Supportive DJs and Lifelong Friendships

Throughout my career, I was lucky to be part of a tight-knit DJ community. We often travelled for hours to support each other at events, fostering a sense of camaraderie that I still cherish today. It's incredible how my love for music and people helped shape my life and create friendships that span the globe.

Embracing New Technology: Serato Pro, Pioneer DDJ-SX2, and Twitch Streaming

Recently, I've decided to dive back into the world of DJing by embracing new technology like Serato Pro, the Pioneer DDJ-SX2, laptops, and Twitch streaming. I'm also excited to join the zipDJ music pool, which will help me stay up-to-date with the latest tracks.

Building a Digital Presence: The Journey to Twitch Streaming

As I prepare to launch my DJ show on Twitch, I've been blown away by the support and camaraderie of the streaming community. Twitch has provided me with a platform to share my passion for music, and I'm eagerly working on setting up the perfect format and schedule for my show.

A Heartfelt Thank You to My DJ Family

I want to extend my deepest gratitude to the DJs and streamers who have welcomed me back into the DJ world with open arms, especially DJ506, DJAristotle, DJ_BBS, DJJasonOne, DJLivinLarge, DJLokpique, DJMargarita_Mel, DJShadow, and many others.

Embark on this exciting new chapter of my DJ journey; I'm eager to reconnect with old friends, make new ones, and share my love for music with the world once again. Here's to the power of community, the joy of music, and the magic of DJing.

No comments:

The man that makes all the dough around here!

The man that makes all the dough around here! Hey there, folks! I've got a little story to share with you, and it's all about the br...