Friday, February 10, 2023

Grandpa, internal narrative and Oreo Cookies



Grandpa, internal narrative and Oreo Cookies
by
David A A Sullivan






Grandfather: Hey Bud! You know what's really cool?

Grandson: What, Grandpa?

Grandfather: It's the way you talk to yourself in your head. It's like having a secret superpower!

Grandson: Really? How does it work?

Grandfather: Well, let me show you. Watch me split this Oreo cookie in half.

Grandson: Okay.

Grandfather gently splits the Oreo cookie in half, revealing the creamy filling inside.

Grandfather: You see how I was able to split this cookie open so easily?

Grandson: Yeah.

Grandfather: That's because I believed in my mind that I could do it. My thoughts and beliefs about myself and the world gave me the confidence to take action.

Grandson: Wow, so your thoughts and beliefs can make you do things?

Grandfather: That's right! And the same goes for you, my boy. The way you talk to yourself in your head can shape your beliefs and emotions, and in turn, affect your actions and the world around you.

Grandson: Whoa, that's amazing!

Grandson: So, if I'm nervous about something, like going to the pool for the first time, can I change my thoughts to not be scared anymore?

Grandfather: That's right, little guy. When I was your age, I was nervous about going to the deep end of the pool. But I learned that I could change my thoughts and talk to myself in a way that made me feel braver.

Grandson: How did you do that?

Grandfather: Well, instead of telling myself things like "I'm scared" or "I can't swim", I told myself positive things like "I am strong and capable" and "I can learn to swim". And you know what? Those positive thoughts made all the difference. I was able to go to the deep end and have fun.

Grandson: Really? That's so cool!

Grandfather: Yes, it is! And you can do the same thing. When you're feeling nervous about something, try to find a positive thought that will help you feel braver.

Grandson: Like what?

Grandfather: Well, you could say something like "I am strong and brave" or "I can learn to swim". Just find a thought that makes you feel good and confident. And then keep repeating it to yourself, like a secret superhero chant.

Grandson: Okay, I'll try!

Grandfather: That's the spirit, buddy! And remember, your thoughts and words have superpowers, so use them wisely.

No comments:

The man that makes all the dough around here!

The man that makes all the dough around here! Hey there, folks! I've got a little story to share with you, and it's all about the br...